Review: Hinges: Book 1 Clockwork City (Hinges #1)

Monday, March 9, 2015

Title: Hinges: Book 1 Clockwork City (Hinges #1)
Author: Meredith McClaren
Genre: Graphic Novel, Fantasy
Publisher: Image Comics
Release Date: March 10, 2015

Summary (via Goodreads)
HINGES is a fantasy webcomic, turned graphic novel, about a doll named Orio and her troubling companion Bauble. New to the city of Cobble, Orio must depend on help where ever she can find it, but her assigned familiar Bauble has other interests. And as the two explore the walls of their city, they find that they are not the only new arrivals. In a place that runs like clockwork, it only takes a little disruption to upend a city.

I am very excited to be reviewing a graphic novel today! Yes my blog is young, but this is my first graphic novel on here, and I am very VERY excited. I have such a deep love of graphic novels, and I am psyched to be starting out with a good one.

Hinges is gorgeous. Seriously, so gorgeous. The line art is simple but elegant, almost cartoony but so intricate, which is just something that I love. The characters and backgrounds are beautifully drawn. Each character's face is so expressive, which really works well in such a quiet comic. Also there is the coloring, which adds so much to the tone of the graphic novel. I love it's nice subtle hues that make the entire comic look delicate and sometimes mysterious.

This being the first book in the Hinges series, the story centers around introducing Orio to the city of Cobble and finding her a job. Also the main focus is the growing relationship between Orio and her odd--a companion type creature--Bauble. Where Orio is silent and meek, Bauble is rambunctious and causes Orio a lot of trouble while she is trying to find work. Bauble also has some questionable intentions when it comes to Orio's clock, a pocketwatch inscribed with her name that given to her when she was created. But by the end of the book, they develop an understanding that is heartwarming.

All that being said, I was a bit confused about some of the plot. Like Orio, it is very quiet book. The only dialogue we get is from other characters. So the scenes with Orio and Bauble rely very heavily on actions. While I did enjoy that, I just felt like I didn't fully grasp why certain things happened, even after a second reading. However, it might be explained in later books.

Rating: 4/5 I really loved Hinges. It was very beautifully done, and I am going to search for the webcomic just so I can continue the story!

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment