Eight Books For Readers Who Like Great Minor Characters

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday is a blog meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This one was so open ended that it made thinking of a good topic very tough for me, and honestly I was going to skip it because my mind was a complete blank. Then all of a sudden this came into my mind: minor characters. A good minor character can really make me love a book, especially if I'm not a huge fan of the main character. They always bring just that something else that really adds to the story. Also while writing this, I noticed that great minor characters are usually found in books containing lots of characters in it too. It's like a buffet of favorites to pick from!


1. Harry Potter series- Harry Potter has the best minor characters. It's a fact! There is at least one minor character in the series that you can relate to or even love because they are so unlike you. My favorites: Remus Lupin (favorite character ever) and Neville Longbottom.

2. Ashbury/Brookfield series- So I loved this series when I was in high school. It's funny, easy-read, and contains lots of hilarious side characters. My favorites: Sebastian in A Year of the Secret Assignments and Toby and Sergio in The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie.

3. Red Rising series- My love for Red Rising is bordering addiction now, and one of the reasons is the minor characters. They are complex and interesting and sometimes the biggest little shitheads ever. My favorites: Harmony, Matteo, Mustang, and of course Sevro (hint: he's the little shithead).

4. The Raven Cycle series- Hrmm now this one is tough because of the multiple narration going on, and that kind of makes me hesitant to call people minor characters. If you consider Blue the main main character, then yes there are some kick ass minor characters in the series. My favorites: Noah and Persephone.


5. LOTR and the Hobbit- This is probably the classic awesome minor characters book. Mostly because there are a bizallion! My favorite: Sam!

6. Holes- Throwback to a favorite middle school read. Holes has some quirky characters that inhabit Stanley's cabin at Camp Greenlake and some other admirable ones from the flashbacks. My favorites: Zero, Magnet, and Kissin' Kate Barlow.

7. The Maze Runner series- Oh wow, the minor characters in this series really stole the show for me. Thomas could be a bit whiny, so having a good character to throw in a sarcastic comment or be the voice of reason really kept my attention. My favorites: Newt, Minho, and Brenda.

8. The Graveyard Book- Can't find better characters than ones in a graveyard! My favorites: Silas and Liza Hempstock.

And that's all I can think of right now!


What are your favorite books with awesome minor characters? Or maybe do you have a different favorite from some of the book I listed?

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment