Ten Books I'd Love to Read If I Had A (Supernatural Creatures) Book Club

Tuesday, January 27, 2015


Top Ten Tuesday is a blog meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Yesterday a friend and I were exchanging our best lame jokes back and forth, and she said,"What do ghosts read in a book club? Boooooks!" While this might actual be the lamest joke of all time, it really hit the mark for when I read this prompt. Then I just couldn't get it out of my head...and then I just went with it. Hey, supernatural creatures probably would want a book club too! Maybe read about creatures like themselves or maybe just to see how far off the mark humans got (sparkley vampires, anyone?) Here are the books I would love to think supernatural creature book club reading.


1. Dracula by Bram Stroker
Always good to read a classic! Reading staples in any genre really bring out good group discussions and shed light on failings or innovations in contemporary works. Plus I bet there would be a few hardy discussions about whose great great great uncle vampire was exactly like Drac.


2. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Furry, four-legged shapeshifters enjoy a good old fashion love story too!


3. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black
While Dracula is all well and good, a contemporary vampire story would be great to discuss, especially one by Holly Black who I'm sure would be a supernatural creature favorite author. She's pretty much has written about them all.


4. Talon by Julie Kagawa
Not sure how the actual dragons will handle this book. Love that dragons can have human forms or hate it? Might cause a fiery debate between a few hotheads.


5. Sweep by Cate Tiernan
This was one of the first book series I read about witches when I was younger, and I loved it. There are probably a few novice witches in the book club who could relate. 


6. Becoming Jinn by Lori Goldstein
Now yet released, but I am very excited about it! There are not enough books about jinn in contemporary fiction. Some of the jinn in the reading group might have been feeling left out before.  


7. Rooms by Lauren Oliver
Ghosts may be dead, but they enjoy a good book now and then too. (They are dead so they have the time.) Plus this cover is to die for.


8. Half Bad by Sally Green
So what, another witch book! I actually just finished this book, and just wow. Some supernatural creatures might have this hit a bit close to home: are they bad or are they good? 


9. Tithe by Holly Black
Okay so another Holly Black book too, but this time there is faeries. There might be a few undiscovered changelings that have that 'ah ha' moment while reading, which might turn the book club into a therapy group.


10. Zombie vs. Unicorns by Holly Black, Justine Larbalestier, and various writers
A supernatural two for one! Not exactly sure how well zombies and unicorns would do in a book club, but I'm sure all of the other creatures would get a kick out of all of the stories and different versions of zombies and unicorns. Plus it might cause a great debate on which is better!

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment